Hazardous waste generators, transporters, and treatment, storage and disposal (TSD) facilities can now start registering online as the Environmental Management Bureau (EMB) of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR) opens its Online Hazardous Waste Manifest System on November 16, 2017.
Hazardous Waste Manifest has long been followed by DENR under its Administrative Order (DAO) No. 2013-22: Revised Procedures and Standards for the Management of Hazardous Wastes, in compliance with the Republic Act 6969: An Act to Control Toxic Substances and Hazardous and Nuclear Wastes. It provides technical standards and requirements of HW generators, transporters and facilities involved in the treatment, storage, recycling, reprocess and disposal of HW in the country.
Upgrading the process into an online system database is an advanced course of action that aims for a faster, time-saving, and seamless application process for hazardous waste management. Some of its benefits are improvements in the dissemination of informations, reduced processing time, convenient selection of transporters and TSD facilities, and a more efficient tracking of the movement of hazardous waste.
In support for this, Pollution Control Association of the Philippines Inc. Region 4A (PCAPI Calabarzon) spearheaded three sets of Orientation on Online Hazardous Waste Manifest and Tracking System, two of which were held on February 1, 2018 at the Auditorium of Sta. Rosa City Hall, Sta. Rosa, Laguna (morning and afternoon sessions) while the third was on February 15, 2018 at CEZ, Rosario, Cavite – all were free of charge.
Engr. Marissa Malabana, Chief of Hazardous Waste Management Section of EMB-CALABARZON presented in the Orientation, which main goal was for the participating PCOs and Environmental Heads to be informed of the basics of the new Online Hazardous waste tracking and manifest system, especially the specific steps on the online application of Permit to Transport (PTT) and the compliance of HW generators using Online HW Manifest System.
One of the most helpful and convenient informations covered in the orientations is the online manifest flowchart which serves as an efficient guide for the whole online process of the system.
Over, 1000 individuals from different stakeholders were able to participate in the orientations and personally raised their concerns regarding the topics discussed.
Some of the concerns addressed during the orientations were the following:
- Q: How reliable is the system?
A: The system is guaranteed reliable because it is regularly updated and monitored.
- Q: Considering all documents are complete, how many days is the process?
A: Less than 21 days
- Q: We manually applied PTT last Aug. Do we still need to reapply online?
A: Not anymore. It will still be processed.
- Q: Can a company be generator and transporter?
- Q: How about those with daily generation?
A: Inform EMB with a letter. The basis will be your SMR.
- Q: My Hazwaste Generators ID is not yet approved. Can I enter the online system?
A: Not yet.
- Q: I cannot log-in. Can I make a new account?
A: You can but you will need to change your HazWaste ID.
- Q: Can one generator have two haulers?
- Q: Our Discharge Permit is expired but we already applied for renewal last year, can we encode our expired DP to the system?
A: Upload the received copy of your renewal application.
- Q: How can we know that our Generator’s ID has been approved? We applied it last 2016.
A: You can already check the status of your application in our new system.
- Q: 1 client, 2 treaters, how do we deal with it on the online system?
A: 1 transporter, 2 TSD, 2 PTT application online
- Q: Do we need to print the manifest once it was approved?
A: The transporter will print the manifest
- Q: Was it specified that the generators should apply for the manifest?
- Q: Is it allowed to apply per type of waste?
A: Application should really be per type; 1k per type of waste
- Q: Certificate of Treatment: will it come from the treater?
A: COT will be approved by EMB then for printing; then will be received by the Central Office (CO)